The 2011 IRB Rugby World Cup kicked off on the 9th of September. Over the last few weeks all the group stage matches were completed in the tournament. Of the 20 teams that started the tournament, only 8 teams will be advancing into the Quarter Final knock-out stage of the tournament.
The following teams have advanced into the quarter final stage of the tournament:
- Ireland: Winners of Pool C – To advance to this stage the Irish team won all 4 their group matches (against the United States, Australia, Russia and Italy)
- Wales: Runner-up for Pool D – The Welsh team lost against South Africa in their first match but won all 3 their remaing matches (Against Samoa, Namibia and Fiji) to advance to the next stage.
- England: Winners of Pool B – The English won all their group matches to advance to the knock-out stage. They beat Argentina, Georgia, Romania and Scotland quite comfortably to make the cut for the last 8.
- France: Runner-up for Pool A – The French beat Japan and Canada, but lost against Tonga and New Zealand and still managed to make it into the last 8.
- South Africa: Winners of Pool D – The Springboks beat Wales, Fiji, Namibia and Samoa to top their group table. Their IRB Rugby World cup campaign has been shaky at times, but the current World Champions look set on defending their title.
- Australia: Runner-up for Pool C – Australia beat Italy in their opening group match and lost against Ireland in their 2nd match. They did bounce back with victories over the United States and Russia to take their place in the last 8 in the IRB Rugby World Cup.
- New Zealand: Winner of Pool A – The All Blacks have looked very strong in the tourmanent. They beat Tonga, Canada, France and Japan to secure their place in the quarter final stage of the tournament. They had 2 matches in which they scored more than 80 points.
- Argentina: Argentina lost their first match against England, but bounced back with victories over Romania, Scotland and Romania to secure their place in the quarter finals.
It has been an interesting IRB Rugby World Cup tournament. The competition is definitely heating up and there has been no shortage of excitement.
The following matches will be played in the Quarter Final Stage of the tournament on this week Saturday and Sunday:
- Ireland vs Wales – 8 October 2011 – Regional Stadium, Wellington – Kick-off at 7 AM (SA time)
- England vs France – 8 October 2011 – Eden Park, Auckland – Kick-off at 9:30 AM (SA time)
- South Africa vs Australia – 9 October 2011 – Regional Stadium, Wellington – Kick-off at 7 AM (SA time)
- New Zealand vs Argentina – 9 October 2011 – Eden Park, Auckland – Kick-off at 9;30 AM (SA time)
The Springboks still have a chance to defend their IRB Rugby World Cup Title. They need our support, more than ever now!
The Junk Mail team found these school children at a mall in Pretoria who seemed very optimistic that the Springboks can do it!
Get behind the Springboks today and enter the Bokke Junk Mail Jive Competition now! Show your support for our boys and you could Win an iPad 2!
Check out the following posts on the Junk Mail blog for details about our competition:
- Enter the Bokke Junk Mail Jive Competition!
- The Bokke Junk Mail Jive Competition is in Full Swing
- More Fans Getting Their Bokke Jive On!