There is a big chance that many of you reading this post have Facebook accounts. Today I’d like to point out some noteworthy Facebook stories that you might not have heard of before.
According to the latest online statistics over 1 billion people use Facebook on a monthly basis globally and over 5 million people in South Africa are part of the Facebook family. It’s still the world’s largest Social Network.
Like Google, Facebook has become part of many people’s daily vocabulary. It isn’t strange if you bump into a friend or someone new that you’ve met and they ask you something like “Facebook Me” or “Add Me on Facebook” – it happens every single day.
Because Facebook is a global phenomenon it comes as no surprise that many people have noteworthy Facebook stories to tell. Besides connecting friends with each other all over the globe and the tool which has caused amazing miracles to happen, evidence from Facebook has also been used in criminal investigations in a few countries and has led to the arrest of many dumb criminals.
Just check out this list of 6 Noteworthy Stories below and you’ll see what I mean:
1) A man broke into someone’s car and stole their cellphone. According to police “The suspect apparently took a picture of himself on the victim’s phone, and due to her settings, it automatically uploaded to her Facebook page.” – What did I say about dumb criminals earlier?
2) A 19-year-old man in Watertown, Connecticut in the USA was arrested after posting a two minute video on Facebook which showed him ramming his car into trash cans set out along a quiet street. Lesson out of this: if you’re going to destroy public property, don’t post a video of it on Facebook
3) A guy from Texas in USA named Kelly Hildebrandt, met a cute girl from Florida (also named Kelly Hildebrandt) and they got married. The lovebirds met when Kelly (the girl) looked up her own name on Facebook. She had been curious about other people who have the same name as her on Facebook – if you ask me, the universe works in mysterious ways.
4) Last year, the FBI charged a man with 5 counts of bank robbery in the Detroit area. Investigators matched him to photos on Facebook – he was wearing the same clothes in his profile pictures as he was when he was robbing the banks. The stupidity of criminals amazes me sometimes.
5) In 2011 Crystal Yamnitzky and her boyfriend Robert Driscoll stole a $12,000 ring. Shortly afterwords Crystal posted pictures of the ring on her Facebook profile with the caption “Look what Robby gave me. I love him so much.” They both got arrested.
6) A family in Missouri in the United States posed for their Christmas card photo a few years ago and uploaded it on Facebook. What they didn’t expect is that the photo would end up somewhere else than their living room. A giant version of the image was spotted by a college friend of the family at a food store in Prague, in the Czech Republic. The owner had found the photo on the Internet and used it without authorization.
I trust that you found these noteworthy Facebook stories interesting. If you have an inspiring or interesting Facebook story to share, please comment on this post and let us know, we’d like to hear from you.
If you have enjoyed this post, feel free to share it with you friends on Facebook and Twitter. Remember: Sharing is Caring.