Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets. Twitter was created in 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone and Evan Williams. Work on the project started on the 21st of March 2010 (4 years ago). Jack Dorsey sent his first tweet on that day too.
A few facts about Twitter:
- Last month, Twitter hit 50 million Tweets per day.
- Last year it was announced that “Twitter” would enter the Collins English Dictionary.
- At the end of 2009 it was estimated that Twitter has 75 million user accounts.
- Studies have found that only 21% – 27% of Twitter users are active users and that about 80% of all Twitter users have tweeted fewer than 10 times.
- Twitter was used by candidates in the 2008 U.S. presidential campaign throughout the race. Democratic Party nominee Barack Obama (now U.S. President) used it for publicity. Twitter usage increased by 43 percent on the day of the U.S. Presidential election in 2008.
- By October 2009 Twitter was attracting around 55 million unique visitors worldwide per month (about 467,000 from South Africa).
- There are more women on Twitter (53%) than men (47%).
- South Africa is 10th on the list of the world’s top Twitter countries (0.85% of all Twitter users).
Twitter has become an integral part of the internet in a very short space of time! Happy 4th Birthday Twitter!
For those of you who don’t know what Twitter is, this video explains it in plain English: