Earlier this week the Junk Mail Team attended a Facebook event (presented by Habari Media) in Johannesburg. 2 Facebook employees, Mark Cowan and Blake Chandlee delivered an insight into Social Media and Facebook. It was very interesting to have an insight into how Facebook views the world and the internet.
6 years ago, on the 4th of February 2004 4 college friends, Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes launched a social networking website whilst attending Harvard University. Originally the website was called “TheFacebook”. It was originally aimed at their fellow Harvard students. Membership was restricted to students of Harvard University. Over the next 2 months membership was subsequently expanded to other Boston area colleges, Stanford, and all Ivy League schools in the United States. The founders of “TheFacebook” bought the Facebook.com domain for $200,000 from Aboutface corporation in August 2005. On the 26th of September 2006 Facebook membership was opened to everyone of ages 13 and older. A valid e-mail address was required for membership. Within the first 9 months of membership being allowed for everyone with a valid e-mail address Facebook had 100 million users. Since then Facebook has become the most popular Social Networking website in the world.
Here are some facts that are listed about Facebook:
- There are currently more than 350 million active users in total on Facebook
- 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day.
- More than 35 million users update their status each day.
- More than 55 million status updates posted each day.
- More than 2.5 billion photos uploaded to the site each month.
- More than 3.5 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc) shared each week
- More than 3.5 million events created each month.
- More than 1.6 million active Pages on Facebook.
- Pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans
- Average Facebook user has 130 friends on the site
- Average Facebook user sends 8 friend requests per month
- Average Facebook user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook
- Average Facebook user clicks the Like button on 9 pieces of content each month
- Average Facebook user writes 25 comments on Facebook content each month
- Average Facebook user becomes a fan of 2 Pages each month
- Average Facebook user is invited to 3 events per month.
- Average Facebook user is a member of 12 groups.
- More than 70 translations are available on the Facebook website
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States.
- Over 300,000 users helped translate Facebook through the translations application.
- There are more than 65 million active Facebook users currently accessing the site through their mobile devices
- People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are almost 50% more active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
- South Africa has 2.6 million monthly Facebook users (unique browsers).
- 1.18 billion monthly page views. 46% of active users return to the site daily.
- 1.58 million users access Facebook on a mobile platform. 78% of users come back every week.
- South Africa is the 29th largest Facebook country across the globe.