Junk Mail Marketplaces aims to bring buyers and sellers together. To achieve this in a safe and scam-free environment, there are some rules that apply when advertising your goods or services.
The below information serves as the Junk Mail Marketplaces Advertising Policy detailing to users the rules regarding ad placement on Junk Mail Marketplaces and informs which ads will not be allowed, for the safety of all buyers and sellers:
General Advertising Policy
Increase the quality of your ad:
- Refrain from using stock / generic images from other traders, or “screenshot” images. Please use unique images for each ad.
- Do not use images depicting nudity, sex, violence, cruelty, neglect etc.
- Refrain from placing duplicated ads. Duplicates are defined as more than 1 ad placed by the same user for the same content within 7 days. Duplicate ads would also be ads duplicated across multiple regions or categories – placing the same ad more than once and selecting a different region / category every time = duplicate.
Ads where the same text is repeated with different images, or vice versa would also be seen as duplicates. Included here ads where the text is merely jumbled from ad to ad, but still offer the same item or service.
The duplicates rule is a blanket rule and applies to both free and paid ads.
- Social media and web links to your business site / pages are welcomed, if related to the ad content. Youtube links for product specs are not allowed.
- Ad titles should be a snapshot of the item/service advertised. Do not include price or contact numbers in the ad title. Also refrain from using special characters or hashtags in the ad title (you may use them in the ad text).
- The ad text should contain as much clear information as possible about what is being advertised. The text field may not consist solely of a link to an alternative information source.
- Do not use links to, or mention ads on competitor websites.
- Refrain from using foul language, defamatory comments, racism, sexism, derogatory labels or any form of discrimination.
Ad content not allowed:
- Political and religious advertisement advocating one specific group or their beliefs.
- No Adult content including sensual / sexual massage, sex toys / services, personal ads, pornographic media.
- Specified BRAND banned list – copyright
- Le Creuset cookware
- AUTOCOM vehicle diagnostic tools
- BONNOX fencing
- 100% Eyewear
- FitLife products
- DRIMAC jackets
- FLOW beehives (or any beehive with flow technology)
- PIGGY BACK trailers.
- SUPERDRY clothing brand
- NO ads noting warnings or complaints against other ads or traders. To report scam / damaging ads – please use the system flag option provided below each ad.
- Ads for tobacco, or tobacco products (including vaping liquids / pods) are not allowed. We do allow the devices themselves and accessories to be advertised.
- Ads for alcohol or alcohol-related products are not allowed. Collector’s items like vintage wines are allowed as Collectors’ Items – sold as an investment, not for consumption. If an item can be purchased retail, it does not qualify as a collector’s item for advertising.
- NO ads referring to illegal content, goods, activities, or services (included here are illegal substances).
- Ads seeking or offering services for hacking or bypassing paid products are not allowed.
- NO pirated media (Music, software, movies, e-books, games etc.). If the is sold on any form of external memory – it is no longer original.
- NO pirate copies or copyright infringement of brand names in clothes, handbags, accessories etc.
- NO eBook / Kindle / Gobi etc. data or software. Devices may be accepted, if the price is all-inclusive on device and whatever books have already been downloaded (no price “per book”)
- NO Gambling ads, or links to gambling websites / apps or services relating to the creation of gambling websites / apps.
- Adverts requesting money or airtime as donations are not allowed. (other donation requests for clothes, food or furniture is allowed).
- NO automatic weapons, exploding / fragmenting ammunition, grenades, bombs, explosive devices, rockets, altered firearms. NB: standard ammunition like hunting ammunition is allowed.
- NO weapons / ammunition to swop for another / other goods / services.
- NO ads for wanted firearms, ammunition, or weapons of any kind.
- NO “work from home” ads that are non-descript “sending of e-mails” or data entry / capture online. No “pyramid schemes” where the income is generated from registration fees alone. Included here are stokvel ads.
- NO uncut diamonds to be sold / advertised. EXCEPTION for shaped / cut diamonds advertised, must have a diamond grading certificate or proof of purchase available for the buyer and state this fact in the ad text.
- NO raw gold / platinum.
- NO ads for hazardous materials like Asbestos, Mercury etc.
- Ads from outside South Africa are not allowed. Contact details must be local for users to view items being advertised.
- NO imported cars are to be advertised, unless specifically stated that they have all paperwork / import documents.
- NO ads indicating “takeover of instalments” (wanted or on offer).
- NO ads stating “Blacklisted / ITC clients welcome” on vehicle, property etc. (prohibited by the NCA)
- NO ads mentioning the practice of / services for “mileage correction” on vehicles.
- Property ads may not discrimination against race, religion, sex or creed when advertising a property for sale / to rent.
- NO RDP homes for sale or to rent are allowed.
- When advertising accommodation to SHARE, the ad may specify male / female preference only – but no other exclusions, and ONLY when accommodation is to share.
- No ads for “free accommodation” or accommodation in exchange for unspecified services.
- Fresh Vegetables and unprocessed foods / feeds are welcome – this includes corn, hay, beans, lusern etc. Included here are bird seeds / feed.
- Catering companies who advertise their services or prepared MEALS for delivery, is allowed.
- Conditional rules apply to dog / cat food (prepared animal feeds / pellets), which will be allowed only if advertised by Pet Supply stores or Veterinary clinics. The name of the clinic or pet store must appear in the ad text.
- Conditional rules for all dairy products (milk, cheese, ice cream etc.) – The ad must contain the company name and street address.
- NOT ALLOWED are frozen / fresh meat, and eggs.
- NO use of or reference to a virus by name in ads as a marketing tool. i.e. CORONA / COVID-19 / AIDS / CANCER etc.
- All ads for medical / surgical face masks, hand sanitizer, surgical gloves are only allowed for business advertisers. The company name must appear in the ad text.
- NOTE – ads for HOMEMADE masks are allowed.
- NO advert may make medical claims to cure or treat any illnesses / medical condition (physical or mental).
- Ads for medical practitioners must include the practice number in the ad text.
- Ads for biological matter are not allowed. This includes organs for transplant, sperm (including animal sperm), ova (including animal ova).
- NO ads seeking / offering surrogate motherhood.
- NO ads seeking / offering adoption.
- Ads for medication (prescription or otherwise) are not allowed. This includes animal medication.
- Ads for herbal medication is not allowed, including CBD products.
- Ads for diet products or any supplements are not allowed.
- NO ads for Abortion services or abortion medication.
- Ads for cosmetic enhancement & cosmetic surgery is not allowed, including penis / breast / bum / hips enlargements.
- NO embalming power, embalming liquid, embalming tools or embalming services are allowed.
- Ads for alternative medicine e.g. spiritual healers, astrologists, crystal therapists, Sangomas, traditional healers, herbalists, psychics etc. are NOT allowed.
- Only CASUAL JOB ads and JOB SEEKER ads can be placed on Junk Mail Marketplaces. Please visit www.jobmail.co.za to submit any other job ads. Job Mail offers a more detailed category selection and is also free to use.
- Casual jobs may not include the following: adult services, live-in maids / secretary “willing to go the extra mile”, ads seeking nude models.
- Job seekers must be 18 or older. Age must be stated in the ad.
- ONLY work from home ads where a product / service will be sold / offered, stating the company name, and where you will be selling the product from, will be allowed. NO “work from home” ads that are non-descript “sending of e-mails” or data entry online. Also no “pyramid schemes” where the income is generated from registration fees alone – it must state a product being sold, or service offered along with the company name.
- All casual job ads must contain the following information –
- Company name
- Contact number
- Description of the job / assignment
- Details of salary remuneration offered.
Ads allowed as COMMERCIAL PAID advertising ONLY:
These are paid ads only and cannot be placed as free ads.
- All ads offering financial services. This includes loans, get out of debt, blacklisted assistance etc.
- All ads for “rent-to-own” vehicles.
- All ads for medical aid, insurance or related – including funeral policies. The ad text must state the underwriting company name, as well as the wording “registered financial services provider” (FSP)
- All ads for Livestock (Cattle, Sheep, Pigs, Goats). All animal policy rules still apply i.e. min ages, not to be sold for slaughter, no pregnant animals etc. (See animal policy section)
- All ads related to Fireworks, either the sale of fireworks or events services.
Animal advertising policy
The pets and livestock section is not intended to facilitate uncontrolled breeding, irresponsible pet trading, trade of dogs or any other animal for the purposes of dogfighting, guarding, slaughter or stud services.
The aims of these rules are responsible pet ownership and the wellbeing of all animals.
- NO animals free to a good home or give away adverts allowed.
- NO animals to swop for other animals / services / goods
- NO animals to be sold for “slaughter” or meat.
- Animals advertised must have a minimum price –
- Small mammals (hamsters, rabbits, mice, guinea pigs, birds, poultry etc.) = min price R50 each.
- All OTHER animals (dogs, cats, horses, livestock etc. ) = min price R100 per animal. Note livestock ad prices relative to the market.
- NO pregnant animals for sale.
- NO birds are to be sold for “hand-rearing”
- NO Geese / Ducks to be advertised specifically for “plucking of feathers”.
- NO animals to be offered for the live feeding of other animals – includes “pienkies” (baby mice), day-old chicks etc.
- NO insects / bugs are to be sold for the ‘live feeding of animals’ – adverts may not contain wording that explicitly states that this would be the outcome of the sale.
- NO fertile eggs for hatching or day-old chicks of any poultry to be advertised.
- NO farmed animals or ads specifying that the animal is to be used for work / mating / covering / stud / breeding services.
- No animals to be sold as “breeding pairs” (except for birds, if the breed is not exotic or on an exclusion list).
- No “teacup pigs” to be advertised.
- No animal that is specified on any NEMBA list as Invasive, Endangered, or prohibited will be allowed. This includes species on any CITES list.
- NO FURS of any kind. Faux fur ads must state that fact.
- NO animal skins / hides are allowed except livestock.
- NO animal bones / horns allowed.
- NO hunting trophies allowed.
- NO ivory and / or any elephant products
- NO rhino horns and / or any rhino products
- NO Donkeys to be advertised for sale / wanted – this includes Donkey hides or products.
Minimum age for animals to be advertised:
- All ads must state either the BIRTH DATE or CURRENT AGE of the animal being sold.
- Dogs and cats must be at least 8 weeks old. If the puppy / kitten is not 8 weeks old yet – please add the wording “ready at 8 weeks” (this MUST be stated in the advert).
- Rabbits must be 6 weeks old.
- Mice / Guinea pigs / Hamsters must be 4 weeks old.
- Livestock babies must be at least 8 weeks old (calves, lambs, piglets, kids).
- FOAL min age must be 6 months. IF the foal is sold WITH the Mare then min age is not applicable, but birth date is still required.
- The minimum age for birds to be sold: For larger bird species – min. age of 6 months (24 weeks). For smaller bird species – min, age 3 months (12 weeks.) NB: the age of the bird must be stated in the ad.
Prohibited cosmetic procedures:
- Tail docking (in contravention of the APA and veterinary act / illegal unless medically required) – adverts for the following dog breeds must include a clear image, showing the puppy tails: Jack Russel / Foxterrier / Doberman / Boxer / Bullmastiff.
- Cropped ears (in contravention of the APA and veterinary act / illegal unless medically required)
- Pinioning (wing clipping) – Ads are not allowed to mention pinioning or offer the option / services of pinioning.
Dogs & Cats:
- Puppy mills are not allowed to advertise.
- NO dogs or cats wanted / looking for adverts allowed.
- NO dogs wanted or offered as security / guard dogs, or services offered to TRAIN dogs as security / guard dogs.
- NO ads pertaining to dog racing (this is illegal) or hunting (using dogs).
- NO training equipment or any equipment described as “conditioning” equipment or “for the conditioning of” i.e. dog treadmills, spring poles, flirt poles, shock collars or anti-barking collars.
- NO ads referring to “game dog” or as having the quality of “gameness” or from a “game bloodline” as these are terms used to describe fighting dogs
- NO ads offering mating / covering / stud services
Specific dog/cat breed banned list:
- Pit Bull Terriers
- American Pit Bull Terriers
- American Staffordshire Terriers Aka Amstaff
- Bull Terriers (Varkhond)
- Staffordshire Terriers / Staffies
- Japanese Tosas
- Dogo Argentinaos (Argentinian Fighting Dogs)
- Fila Braseleiro (Brazilian Fighting Dogs)
- Miperro De Presa Canario
- Red / Blue Nose Carvers
- Cane Corso
- Dapple or double dapple Dachshund
- Russian Blue cat breed
- Savannah cat breed
NO Cross Breeds of any of the above banned breeds
Ads must mention the breeds, and with cross breeds must mention both breeds.
Exotic animals, reptiles, fish, birds:
- NO venomous snakes to be advertised. Snake breeds not allowed (but not limited to) – Boa Constrictors, Burmese Python, Copperhead, Ramsays Python, Sand Python, Diamond / Carpet Python, Cobra.
- NO Bearded dragons or Crested Geckos.
- NO Chameleons
- NO Tortoises, Turtles – including Leopard tortoises, Slider turtles etc. (very difficult to identify if indigenous or exotic)
- NO Terrapins.
- NO Spiders e.g. Baboon spiders and Wolf spiders, Tarantulas
- NO exotic mammals can be advertised due to differing legislation and permit requirements in the various provinces.
Included but not limited to:
- Sugar gliders
- Coati mundi
- NO ads for large predators e.g. Lions, Tigers, Puma, Jaguar, Leopard etc.
- NO ads for Caracal and Civet
- NO ads for Jackals or Foxes
- NO ads for wolves, Timberwolves or hybrids thereof
- NO ads for Dingo, Coyote, or hybrids thereof
- NO primates to be advertised. Includes Capuchin or Marmoset monkeys.
- NO ads for Okapi, Oribi (these are endangered – critical red list)
- NO ads for Duiker, Steenbok, Impala, Springbok, Eland, Sable.
- Fish species not allowed (not limited to) Catfish, Mosquito Fish, Piranha, Eels, all Cichlids, Crayfish, Bass, Plecos, Loaches, Ghost Shrimp, Trout, Salmon, all Tilapia, Common Carp (Koi) – ads for a tank with fish, MUST mention the species of fish included.
- NO Stingrays. Several different species are on conservation lists ranging from vulnerable to endangered (very difficult to identify if indigenous or exotic + conservation status).
- Bird species not allowed (but not limited to) Macaw, Cockatoo, Sun Conure, Waxbills, Jardines, Rosella, Ringnecks, Crested quail, Turquiose parrot, Green cheeked conure, Gouldian Finch, Red-rumped parrot or any exotic Parrots, birds of prey and birds requiring permits – ads for aviary with birds, MUST MENTION THE SPECIES of birds included.
- NO African Grey bird species to be advertised.
- NO Helmeted Guinea Fowl to be advertised.
- NO ads for African penguins.
- DUCKS NOT ALLOWED ARE (not limited to): Mallard ducks (an invasive species – NEMBA Biodiversity Act 10 -2004) – ads for waterfowl MUST mention the species
- NO ads for Indian myna
- NO birds of prey, including (but not limited to): Owls, Crows, Eagles, Falcons etc.