Junk Mail is continuing its mission to inform the public about scams that aim to defraud South Africans. A new version of a fake competition scam has stuck out its ugly head over the last few days. This time Junk Mail users are being targeted via SMS.
The SMS is being sent from 079-3403104 / 081 2516654 and users are informed that they have to contact Mr James / Mrs Laureen Brian on 071-4931885 / 081 259 7572 with their personal information in order to win a brand new Polo Vivo. The scammer also provides users with a reference number similar to “JM 01012za” or “JM 05012ZA”.
Junk Mail is NOT running this competition. This person is not an employee working for Junk Mail, he’s a scammer trying to defraud Junk Mail users out of their hard earned money
The Junk Mail team would like to remind you about the following when it comes to competitions at Junk Mail:
- All Junk Mail competitions are announced on the Junk Mail Blog in our competitions section
- Notification of all Junk Mail competitions are sent out via the Junk Mail Weekly Newsletter (from the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail address)
- Notifications of all Junk Mail competitions and winners will be posted on The Junk Mail Classifieds, Junk Mail Pretoria, Junk Mail Johannesburg, Junk Mail Cape Town or Junk Mail Kwazulu Natal Facebook pages
- Entrants are not required to pay money to enter any Junk Mail competitions
- Competition Winners are not notified via a response e-mail on their adverts
- Competition Winners are not notified via SMS
If you receive the SMS from Mr James, please ignore it and delete it from your cell phone. Report the number(s) that you are receiving the SMS from to the service provider (in this case Vodacom).
Be Smart, Be Savvy, Be Safe and Avoid this attempted scam. If you encounter this scam or any other fraudulent activity via Junk Mail, please report it to our Customer Care Department via email@example.com or telephonically on 012-3423840 x2295 (during office hours).
Also feel free to check out the following related posts on the Junk Mail Blog: