Social Media has revolutionized the world ever since it made its appearance in the middle of the previous decade. Like or not, if you are on Facebook. Twitter, Linkedin or another social network, you’re part of the Social Media Revolution that is still sweeping the globe.
South Africa is part of the social media revolution. According to figures released earlier in 2012 more than 5 million South Africans have a Facebook account and more than 1.1 million South Africans have a Twitter account. Social media growth has been slower than in other parts of the world though, mostly due to lack of connectivity.
A few days ago Erik Qualman released an updated version of his infamous Social Media Revolution Video. He’s the author of Socialnomics (a book that made the Amazon.com #1 Best Selling List in 8 languages). The 2011 version of the Social Media Revolution video had more than 1 million views on YouTube.
In the newest version of the Social Media Revolution video, Erik Qualman points out in the intro that Social Media is “living, breathing, young, old, frustrating, mysterious, power, fluid, raw and revolutionary”. He also brings up the following interesting facts about social media in the video:
- Facebook now has over 1 billion users in the world (which technically makes it the world’s 3rd largest country)
- Every day 20% of the Google searches that are done on the internet have not been done before.
- Social Media is now the number 1 activity on the Internet.
- 1 in 5 couples in society today meet online.
- Every second 2 new members join the professional social network, Linkedin.
- Every minute 72 hours of video is uploaded onto the popular video sharing website, YouTube.
- If Wikipedia were made into a book it would be 2.25 million pages long.
- 30 Seconds before they felt it New Yorkers received tweets about an earthquake on the East Coast of the United States.
These facts are very interesting. I’m pretty sure that the social media bug has bitten you and now you just want to know more. Check out the new Social Media Revolution video below for these and more interesting facts about Social Media today:
I trust that you find these updates stats about Social Media today interesting. Feel free to comment on this post and share your thoughts about the new Social Media Revolution video with us. Feedback is appreciated and welcome.
If you’ve found this post informative, feel free to share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Remember: Sharing is Caring.
If you are not doing so already, you can follow Junk Mail via @jmclassifieds on Twitter, join Junk Mail Classifieds on Facebook and also add Junk Mail Classifieds to your circles on Google+. Our profiles on these social networks are updated regularly.
Watch this space for regular updates in the General News category on the Junk Mail Blog.