The holiday season is upon us and most people are so excited to go on their annual holiday, that they forget one of the most important aspects about it, safe travelling.
When you decide to go on holiday, book accommodation and plan the trip, you have to take into account that your vehicle needs to be serviced, thoroughly checked and be in peak condition for the long haul. If you service your vehicle regularly, this should not be a financial burden. Always take your vehicle for a ‘check-up’ before the holiday trip. But just as important as checking your vehicle, the driver of said vehicle will also need to be in a healthy condition.
Here are a few tips to keep you safe and alive while travelling for the holidays:
- Never, ever drink and drive. It leads to poor responses and judgement on the road, which can cause major accidents and fatalities.
- Get at least one day’s rest before you attempt to drive for hours on end. We all want our holiday to start and have trouble with patience in this regard, but rather late than sorry!
- Stop regularly at safe places. Safe places are service stations stationed at regular intervals next to big highways. Try not to stop next to the side of the road as we have to be realistic about the unfortunate crime situation in our country.
- Pack light snacks for the driver. Things like jellie sweets provide you with energy, while not making you feel overfed and subsequently tired.
- Create an awesome playlist for the road. All your favourite songs should keep you alert and awake.
- While caffeine should never replace rest, it will help you keep the shuteye at bay for a while.
Do not become a statistic, be safe and careful. Follow the rules of the road and think for other drivers too. Make sure you get to your destination to enjoy that well-deserved holiday.
Remember that you can find everything you need on Junk Mail.