The 3-week winter school holiday is upon us! Parents throughout South Africa will most probably be pulling their hair out of their heads from hearing the dreaded: ‘I am boooored’.
Do you also need something to keep the kids busy with this school holiday? How about some hi-tech gadgets that will keep them occupied for hours at a time? While most of us agree that spending too much time on television-related activities can be bad for your child, experts recently said that if you know what to look out for, video gaming can be a powerful tool helping children develop essential life skills. The most important aspect is of course, that parents know at all times what games their children are playing and that they are age-related. Also take into account your child’s personality. All children deal with different situations differently.
Here are 8 reasons why video games should be allowed in moderation:
- Video games can teach problem solving skills and creativity
- Video games inspire interest in culture and history
- Video games can help kids make friends
- Video games encourage exercise; by encouraging new ‘moves’ and kids practising them
- Video games allow kids to share the joy of competition
- Video games allow kids a chance to lead
- Video games allow kids a chance to teach
- Video games bring kids and parents together
If you are considering acquiring a hi-tech gadget for your child to keep them occupied this school holiday, here is what is on offer on Junk Mail:
For any other hobbies, click here! Most importantly, enjoy the break with your kids!