Off to university next year in Gauteng? Then it is time to find student accommodation in Pretoria or Johannesburg. With great options advertised on Junk Mail, you are sure to find the perfect place to live in no time.
Student Accommodation in Pretoria
A fun and student-rich city in Gauteng, Pretoria is home to a number of tertiary education institutions, including the University of Pretoria (Tuks) and the Tshwane University of Technology (or TUT).
The University of Pretoria originated from the establishment of the Pretoria Centre of the Transvaal University College back in 1908. Starting out with just four professors, three lecturers and 32 students, it is today a top university with over 50 000 students.
Tuks has a total of nine faculties and over 1 200 study programmes.
The Tshwane University of Technology was established in January of 2004 when Technikon North-West, Technikon Pretoria and Technikon Northern Gauteng merged. Today enrolling approximately 60 000 students, TUT has a presence in four provinces – Gauteng, the North-West, Mpumalanga and Limpopo.
TUT has seven faculties with departments that range to include everything from Animal Sciences and Civil Engineering, to Hospitality Management and Software Engineering.
If you are one of the lucky students able to further your studies next year, finding student accommodation in Pretoria is at the top of your list. Before you get started though, it is important to know the areas or neighbourhoods surrounding the university you are attending.
The University of Pretoria has several campuses and, depending on which campus you will be attending, you might want to consider finding student accommodation nearby. The campuses are:
- The main Hatfield Campus
- LC de Villiers Sports Campus
- Groenkloof Campus that hosts the faculty of Education.
- Prinshof Campus that hosts the faculty of Health Sciences
- Onderstepoort Campus that hosts the faculty of Veterinary Science.
- The Mamelodi Campus
The Tshwane University of Technology also has a couple of campuses in Pretoria which include:
- Pretoria Campus in Pretoria West
- Arts Campus on the corner of Du Toit and Struben Street.
Whether you are looking for rooms to rent in Pretoria or a small flat of your own, some popular areas for you to start your hunt include Hatfield and Lynnwood.
Depending on where your campus is, you can also look for student accommodation in Queenswood, Colbyn, Menlo Park, Brooklyn, Groenkloof, Riviera and the areas surrounding the Loftus Versfeld Stadium.
Below is a map marking the main Tuks campus and the surrounding areas.ARVE Error: The [[arve]] shortcode needs one of this attributes av1mp4, mp4, m4v, webm, ogv, url
Also check out the map below marking the Tshwane University of Technology and the areas that surround it.ARVE Error: The [[arve]] shortcode needs one of this attributes av1mp4, mp4, m4v, webm, ogv, url
Remember, the student accommodation that you do choose at the end of the day will also depend on your transport situation – do you own a car or a scooter, will you be making use of public transport or will you be riding your bicycle to class every day. A great benefit is the Hatfield Gautrain Station, the Pretoria Gautrain Station and the bus routes that support these stations.
Student Accommodation in Johannesburg
Attending the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) next year? Then it is most definitely time to find student accommodation in Johannesburg. Wits has two campuses – the main Braamfontein Campus and the Parktown Campus.
The University of the Witwatersrand is big. Spread over 400 acres, Wits university has 11 libraries and 17 residential halls. With over 33 000 students – which include full time, part time and international students – Wits has a total of five faculties, 33 schools and offers over 3 600 courses.
The neighbourhoods that surround the university include Braamfontein, Fordsburg, Parktown, Richmond, Westcliff, Mellville, Greenside, Upper Houghton and Killarney to name but a few examples.
Though not all of these areas are within walking distance, you can always make use of public transport. You will also be happy to hear that the Gautrain Park Station (and the bus routes that support it) is between 850 metres and 1 kilometre from the university.
Whether you are looking for rooms to rent in Johannesburg or a small place of your own (or maybe even to share with a friend), it is always important to check out the neighbourhood you are planning to live in. When it comes to student accommodation, safety and easy access to the campus should be on the top of your priority list.
If you are looking for student accommodation in Johannesburg, the map below will most definitely help! Marking the University of the Witwatersrand, you will also have a clear view of the suburbs in the area.ARVE Error: The [[arve]] shortcode needs one of this attributes av1mp4, mp4, m4v, webm, ogv, url
Do you offer student accommodation or rooms to rent in Johannesburg or Pretoria? Place your FREE AD on Junk Mail today and advertise the accommodation options you can offer students.
If you are planning to complete your studies at the University of Johannesburg (UJ), check out the map below for a clear view of the surrounding areas.ARVE Error: The [[arve]] shortcode needs one of this attributes av1mp4, mp4, m4v, webm, ogv, url
10 tips when choosing student accommodation
Whether you are looking for rooms to rent or a place to live on your own or with a friend, finding student accommodation can sometimes be difficult if you are not sure what you should be for.
There are a number of things you should consider before choosing your accommodation and, to make things a little easier, we have highlighted some of these things:
- Make sure that the neighbourhood where you are renting is safe. Every city has its no-go areas, so do research about the area and check the room or apartment out before putting down a deposit.
- To make things a little easier, try to find student accommodation as close to your campus as possible.
- If you have your own car or motorcycle, make sure that it will have a safe parking spot.
- If you will have to rely on public transport, make sure that bus routes, taxis and even Gautrain busses will be easily accessible from where you plan to live.
- If you are opting for rooms to rent in Pretoria or Johannesburg, be sure to check out the living situation. Remember, you will be sharing areas such as the kitchen, bathroom and living room.
- If you are opting to live alone or share an apartment with a friend, be sure to take utility bills into consideration as well.
- Some student accommodation options might require that you leave during ‘out of term’ time periods, so make sure that this is one of the questions you ask.
- While some accommodation options do offer furnished rooms and apartments, others do not. Make sure you know what type of facilities are available (like washing machines) and what you will have to provide for yourself.
- Your neighbours, roommates and the facilities in the areas should also be taken into account. Try to find accommodation with and around people that you can get along with (remember, you will be spending at least a year with them). Also check out the facilities in the area in terms of shopping, libraries, internet cafes and even places to find a part time job.
- Last but most certainly not least, always consider your finances and budget. As a student you will have to juggle accommodation, food expenses, travel expenses and even the cost of books, to name but a few examples. You might find an inexpensive place to live, but the distance from your campus might mean that you will be using those savings on transport costs, while more expensive place closer to campus might mean better savings on transport. You need to find a perfect balance here, so consider your options very carefully.
Do you have any accommodation tips to share with students? Tell us about them in the comment section below.
Looking for student accommodation in Pretoria or Johannesburg? Junk Mail is the perfect place to start your hunt! Offering everything from flats and apartments to rooms to rent in Johannesburg and Pretoria, you are sure to find your future pad in no time.