Are you in need of pest control services? When it comes to pest control, it’s advisable to try and deter pests with proper hygiene as well as by keeping your property well maintained. If you choose to use pest control services, it’s advisable to hire a reputable company that is registered with the relevant South African associations.
Choosing the right pest control services
Pest control services include the inspection of your home to identify problematic areas. They then select the right methods to kill the pests that were identified during the inspection. It’s advisable to use a reputable pest control service provider with trained technicians to ensure that the job is carried out properly with the least amount of damage to the environment. Pest control companies should be licenced with the Department of Agriculture and any pesticides they use should be registered with both the SABS and the Department of Agriculture. Other organisations that are relevant to this service include the South African Pest Control Association and the Pest Control Services Industry Board.
What types of pests can be treated?
You may want to find a reliable pest control company if there is an infestation of cockroaches, rodents or flies in your home. Fleas, mosquitoes, and bedbugs can also warrant the use of pest control services. Wasps, fruit flies, and termites can also be problematic.
How to prevent pests
Treating pest problems is important, but it is just as vital to put measures in place to prevent pest infestations from happening again. Below is a list of things you can do:
- Proper hygiene is key when it comes to deterring pests. You can start by focusing on your kitchen as this room can become a hub for ants and cockroaches if you don’t take the necessary precautions.
- Store food in sealed containers and make sure that you keep your kitchen free from crumbs.
- Let your family eat their meals in the kitchen or the dining room to ensure that food isn’t spread throughout your home. Make sure that these areas are cleaned up properly after meal times.
- Bay leaves repel cockroaches and garlic acts as a deterrent to other insects.
- You can also rub garlic on the perimeter of your windows and doors to stop ants from entering.
- Make sure that you store fruit properly as this is a favourite snack for ants and cockroaches.
- Planting spearmint or peppermint right outside your house or using them as essential oils in your home can also help to deter ants and flies.
- Citronella oil is a favourite when it comes to repelling mosquitoes and other flying insects.
- Blocking the entry points of insects and rodents into your home is another useful strategy. Make sure that you seal any cracks that could provide an entry point for pests. You can use quality silicone or grout to ensure that the cracks are filled properly.
- Insect mesh can be used to cover air bricks.
- Make sure that your rubbish bin is kept sealed, emptied regularly, and cleaned often.
- Keeping your property well-maintained is also important as rotting wood and leaky pipes attract pests.
Now that you know more about pest control, you can keep your home free from infestations. With proper hygiene, building maintenance, and some help from the professionals, it’s easy to keep your home pest free. You can find pest control service providers on Junk Mail today.